Every fall is homemade applesauce season. It’s so incredibly easy to make it at home and you’ll need just a few simple ingredients for the basic recipe. Of course, you can customize it in any way you want by adding other ingredients.
Homemade applesauce is so rich in flavor and it’s much much better than any commercial brand. It’s a good healthy snack for kids (especially if you make it sugar free), but it can be also used for cooking and baking various recipes.
What kind of apples are best for homemade applesauce?
The best way is to use two or three different types of apples to combine different flavors in your sauce. There are no rules about what types to use, whatever you find at the local market: Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Jonathan, Fuji, Golden Delicious or Jonagold. It doesn’t matter, they’re all good.
How to make applesauce from scratch?
There are only four simple steps to follow:
1) Peel, core and cut the apples into small chunks. And this will be the most “complicated” thing you’ll have to do for this recipe ?.
2) Cook the apples into a sauce pan until they’re soft enough to smash.
3) Blend the apple chunks in a food processor for a smooth texture. Or mash them with a potato masher for a chunkier applesauce.
4) Add spices and a bit of lemon juice. I add lemon juice to help the sauce maintain a good color.
How to customize the applesauce basic recipe?
Spice it up – there are many options to bring more flavors to your applesauce: cardamom, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, vanilla.
Make it buttery – add a little butter to make the sauce creamier; if you’re vegan, use vegan butter.
Make it sweeter – apples are quite sweet, but feel free to add more sugar if that’s what you like; I’d rather use maple syrup; besides the fact that it’s much healthier than sugar, it adds a nice flavor to the homemade applesauce.
Jazz it up – add a little bit of brandy and cheer up ?.
How to use homemade applesauce?
- use it as a topping on French toast, fluffy pancakes or waffles;
- serve it over oatmeal for breakfast;
- it’s a good replacement for egg and butter in cake recipes (check my rum raisins spiced apple cake recipe); it will keep your cake moist and tasty and will make it lighter;
- add it to smoothies and even cocktails.
How long does homemade applesauce last?
You can store the applesauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container and it will last for about 2 weeks. If you want to store it for longer, let it cool completely then put it in a freezer bag. Keep it in the freezer up to two months. Or can it.
Please let me know how it turns out for you in the comments area below. I highly appreciate your feedback ?.
Homemade Applesauce | Basic Recipe
- 500 g chopped apples 6-7 apples
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice optional
- Put the apple chunks and water in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat for 20-30 minutes;
- Blend the apples in a food processor to get the texture you need;
- Add cinnamon (or other spices of choice) and lemon juice;
- Allow it to cool completely and transfer to a jar.
- Cut the apples into smaller chunks so that they cook faster.
- Add fresh lemon juice to help the sauce keep a nice color.