*This article was initially published in October 2020 and updated in February 2021 with better photos and improved text. The recipe was not changed.
These peanut butter buckwheat puff bars are the most likely the easiest dessert one can prepare. They’re also vegan, gluten free, and quick to make as you don’t need to waste time with baking to enjoy them.
And that’s not all! They’re also covered in chocolate! Mmmm….yummy 😋.
Vegan peanut butter buckwheat puff bars
In this paragraph you’ll find general information about the ingredients, their role and possible substitutes. Details about quantities and preparation instructions can be found in the recipe card at the end of the article.
- puffed buckwheat – compared to other puffed grains, they have a nuttier flavor; you can replace them with whatever puffs you have: rice, quinoa, amaranth, millet, anything works just fine;
- peanut butter – I used a mix of raw and roasted peanut butter, but it doesn’t matter; and if you’re allergic to peanuts, try other butters like almond, cashew, or even sunflower seed butter;
- agave syrup – these vegan bars call for something sweet; you can also use maple or dates syrup;
- coconut oil – helps the crispy bars firm up and hold together; plus it adds a nice flavor; make sure it’s melted when you mix it with the other ingredients;
- vegan chocolate – I used 74% cocoa;
- roasted peanuts – to decorate the bars, but it’s not mandatory.
How to make peanut butter puffed buckwheat crispy bars
Start by preparing the bars’ base.
In a small bowl combine well the peanut butter, agave syrup and melted coconut oil. There’s no need to cook this mixture. When you get a smooth paste, put it on top the the buckwheat puffs and carefully combine them using a spatula. Make sure all puffs are covered with the mixture.
Next, put the mixture in a square springform pan (23×23 cm) lined with parchment paper. Make an even layer and press it well using a spatula or with the bottom of a glass.
Don’t put it in the fridge yet; if the base is too cold, the chocolate layer will firm up quickly and you won’t be able to spread it nicely on top.
To prepare the topping, you need to put chocolate into a heatproof small bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water (a bain-marie) and allow the chocolate to melt; stir occasionally. You can add 1-2 tbsp of coconut oil which will make the chocolate thicker and prevents it from drying. Once melted, spread it in an even layer on top the puffed buckwheat and peanut butter base.
Next, sprinkle the chopped roasted peanuts on top and put it in the fridge for two hours.
After you remove the pan from the fridge, leave it at room temperature for a few minutes. The chocolate breaks if cut immediately. So, you need to let it soften a little before cutting it. You can also warm the knife’s blade under a flame or hot water. Just make sure you dry it with a towel if using hot water.
How to store the crispy bars
These vegan energy bars soften quickly and it’s better to store them in a cold place. You can keep them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. And they can also be kept frozen in an airtight container and then thawed at room temperature.
If you try this peanut butter and buckwheat crispy bars, please let me know. You can rate the recipe or leave a comment below. And don’t forget to snap a photo and tag #choose_tasty on Instagram so I don’t miss it 😊.
Peanut Butter Buckwheat Puff Bars | Vegan Crispy Bars
- 1 23×23 cm square springform
- 350 g peanut butter
- 120 ml agave syrup or other natural syrup
- 10 g melted coconut oil
- 60 g puffed buckwheat or other puffed cereals
- 150 g vegan dark chocolate
- 4 g coconut oil
- 30 g roasted peanuts
- Put the buckwheat puffs in a large bowl; in a smaller bowl combine well peanut butter, agave syrup and melted coconut oil;
- When you get a smooth paste, pour it on top the puffed buckwheat and combine well using a spatula;
- Put the mixture in springform lined with parchment paper; press it well using a spatula or the bottom of a glass;
- Melt the dark chocolate in a bain-marie and add the coconut oil; combine well;
- Spread the melted chocolate on top of the peanut butter and buckwheat puffs base;
- Sprinkle roasted peanuts over of the chocolate layer;
- Place the springform in the fridge for about 2 hours;
- Remove the pan from the fridge and leave it for 5 minutes at room temperature; then slice it into 20 bars and enjoy!